Friday, March 22, 2013

Day Fifty-Seven

We took a trip to a town called Gent today with our professor. He didn't really have a plan for us, but he had a couple things he wanted to show us there. Two people forgot their rail passes at the apartment so they ran back quickly to get them. They got to the train platform right after the doors to the train closed, and once they close they do not open until the train reaches the next stop. They had to just watch us all ride away on the train and wait for the next one to leave. When we got to Gent we sat in the station until they finally caught up with us.

It was pretty cold and windy in Gent today. I should have brought my mittens, but the slight sunshine this morning was deceiving and I didn't think I would need them. Luckily, we did a few indoor things today so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

In Gent we went to a design museum that had some really neat old furniture and things as well as modern creations that were equally as interesting. We also visited a small castle which was pretty awesome. They had a room inside that had a whole bunch of torture devices as well as a guillotine on display that I didn't like very much. I'm not big on morbid things.

When we got back to Antwerp, some of us walked to the school to use the internet, but it turned out the school closes early on Fridays. On the way back to our apartments we stopped at our professor's apartment because he wanted to show me what he found out about getting to Mernes, Germany. I have a train schedule figured out and he even emailed a guy who is a member of the historical society there. If the house that Oma grew up in happens to still be in existence, I think I may be able to find it. There is a good chance though that it had either been demolished or stuccoed over, but there is also a chance that it is still there and has been restored. I will find out when I travel there.

I went to another movie tonight. It was called "Oz the Great and Powerful." It was an okay movie, but I don't know if I would want to see it again. One of my classmates actually fell asleep during the movie.


Awesome chandelier in the design museum



The castle




No comments:

Post a Comment